Herivel, John (1918 – 2011)

Name – John Herivel (1918-2011)

Mathematician, Codebreaker – Bletchley Park 1940

Date of Unveiling – 11th November 2022

Location – Methodist College, 1 Malone Road. Belfast  BT9 6BY

Unveiled by – Professor Alastair Adair, CBE, DL. representing H.M. Lord Lieutenant for the County Borough of Belfast, and Susan Herivel, daughter of John Herivel

Plaque funded by – Ulster-Scots Agency.

Thomas Mayne Reid (1818-1883)

Name – Thomas Mayne Reid (1818-1883)

Novelist and Adventurer

Date of unveiling – 25th October 2022

Location – Drumgooland Presbyterian Church.
                  64 Drumgooland Road
                  Ballyward. BT31 9QG

Plaque unveiled by – Lord Mayor of Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council, Councillor Paul Greenfield.

Plaque funded by – Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council.


Click here to watch a short video of the Plaque unveiling

Click here to see photographs of the Plaque unveiling

Photos from John Hannon plaque unveiling

Chris Spurr, Chairman-Ulster History Circle welcomes guests to the unveiling.

Irish speaker Dr Eibhlin Mhic Aoidh-Ulster History Circle addresses the guests.

Seán Ó Coinn , CEO of Foras na Gaeilge who sponsored the blue plaque.

Dr. Gearóid  Trimble who nominated John Hannon for a blue plaque.

Camera crews record the event at Newry Street, Crossmaglen.

The Most Reverend Dr. Eamon Martin, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland.

Seán Ó Coinn -Foras na Gaeilge- unveils the blue plaque to John Hannon.

l.r. – Kieran McConville, Chair of Creggan Local History Society, Gearóid Trimble and                   Seán Ó Coinn, Foras na Gaeilge.

After the unveiling at Newry Street, Crossmaglen.

l-r – Deputy Mayor, NM&DC-Oonagh Magennis, Councillor Aoife Finnegan, MLA-Conor Murphy, Brian McKeown, Ulster History Circle and Mrs. Carmel McKeown.

Michael McKeown- Newry with Reamonn Ó Ciaráin – CEO-Gail Linn

Guests at the unveiling of the blue plaque.

Dr Gearóid Trimble, Chris Spurr-Chairman, Ulster History Circle and Kieran McConville, Creggan Local History Society.

Chris Andrews of BBC with Seamus McKee-Ulster History Circle.

Councillor Aoife Finnegan with Deputy Mayor-Newry. Mourne & Down Council, Councillor Oonagh Magennis.

l-r Roddy Hegarty, Director of Cardinal Tomás Ó Fiaich Memorial Library and Archive, DáIthi Ó Muiri and Stiofán Ó Drain,

Seán Ó Coinn-CEO, Foras na Gaeilge with Crónán Ó Doibhlin whose father has been the custodian of the main Hannon collection.

In the Square, the Oriel Orchestra performs ‘Chuaigh an Mhaol’ in its traditional setting.

Chris Spurr with Gearoid Trimble, the Deputy Mayor, and Kieran McConville.

Dr. Eibhlin Mhic Aoidh-Ulster History Circle with her husband Fintan, Mrs. Noreen Collins, and Dr. Peter Collins, Ulster History Circle.

Kieran McConville, Geároid Trimble and Brian McKeown-Ulster History Circle.

L.r Leslie McKeague – Ulster History Circle – Co. Cavan, Lil McCormick, Mrs Patricia Irvine and Kenneth Irvine – Ulster History Circle.


Photographs from the Redmond Friel Plaque unveiling.

Chris Spurr, Chairman-Ulster History Circle with Alderman Graham Warke, Mayor of Derry City & Strabane District Council.


Redmond Friel’s daughters, Mary Nicell and Isolde Watts.


Internationally renowned Derry musician, Phil Coulter, a former pupil of Redmond Friel, addresses the guests.


Mayor Graham Warke, Mary Nicell and Phil Coulter unveil the Blue Plaque at Chapel Road Primary School, where Redmond was a pupil and later became Principal.


Back row- Chris Spurr, Chairman-Ulster History Circle, Mayor Graham Warke,

Front row – Isolde Watts (nee Friel) Dr. Nuala McAllister Hart-Ulster History Circle, Mary Nicell (nee Friel), Phil Coulter, former pupil of Redmond Friel, andHead of Composition at Royal Irish Academy of Music (RIAM), Dr. Kevin O’Connell.


Mayor Graham Warke and Phil Coulter.


Redmond Friel’s two daughters, Isolde and Mary with the Mayor.


Family, guests and friends  outside Chapel Road Primary School, Waterside, Derry City.


Dr.. Nuala McAllister Hart- Ulster History Circle, gave a talk on Redmond Friel at a small reception for invited guests at the Guildhall.


Members of the Friel family with Mayor Graham Warke on the staircase of the Guildhall.


Pat MacCafferty giving a rendition of one of Redmond Friel’s musical compositions.

James MacCafferty (I915 – I995)


Date of Unveiling. – 23rd April 2022

Unveiled by – Councillor Graham Warke, Mayor of Derry City & Strabane District Council, with Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland, Eamon Martin, Pat MacCafferty and Oonagh MacCafferty.

Location – 25 Francis Street, Derry City.

Plaque funded by – Derry City & Strabane District Council.